Saturday, January 28, 2012

Shopping Therapy And a Birthday Celebration

I'm ashamed to say I haven't produced anything to show for sale on the site yet. I've been sick, work is in crisis mode, and I haven't had the time to get to the store to get the sandpaper, primer and craft paper I need to finish my projects. Dinners last week weren't usually on the table before 7 p.m. and afterward I just didn't have the energy to do anything before collapsing for the night. Thank goodness I have wonderful husband that pitches in, cooks, washes dishes and does laundry! Then add a daughter that needed a day of shopping therapy today after a relationship breakup and my oldest son's 35th birthday party this evening, and well, here I am with nothing to show you. 

One of the stops on our shopping therapy trip was an estate sale. I absolutely love going through other people's stuff. And this house had some nice "stuff", lots of it, and this was the second day so everything was 40% off. SCORE! I had to turn my head away from the beatiful antique pieces. I live in a 1940's arts and crafts home, that although it is full of years of good karma, it is also full of furniture, and I don't think I could cram another piece in it without it being wall to wall and cramped. And really the prices were reasonable at the sale, but I don't even have a place to store it even if I had bargained and bought a piece to refinish and sell (a workshop is on the "want list"!).  For now it is going to be one furniture project piece at a time and I still haven't had a chance to start on the dresser I posted about in my last blog post.

So what was my awesome score today? My wonderful daughter spotted it, picked it up and handed it to me. It was this beautiful vintage 68 piece set of Wm. Rogers 1847 Eternally Yours silverplate flatware.  It was only $60, subtract 40%, and yea! $36 for all of it and they even threw in a matching meat fork that I found over in the box with the souvenir spoons.  I think I got a pretty good deal! My research tonight says it was first produced in 1941 and was a very popular wedding gift for WWII brides. Now I know this sounds kind of crazy but I always feel like this house smiles and is happy whenever I paint a 40's vintage color on the walls, or bring in a vintage furniture piece or decor piece from the 40's. I swear the house feels happy when I brought today's find in. The flatware needs some cleaning and probably takes alot to keep it looking good, but I can't help but love it!

So I'm on the mend, the house is happy, the daughter got her shopping therapy, we had a wonderful dinner and birthday celebration for my oldest son, and tomorrow I work on completing scholarship paperwork with my youngest (soon to graduate high school) son. Hopefully I can sneak in a trip to the store for my sandpaper, primer and craft paper tomorrow and have something to produce for sale by next week.  But for now, here is a photo of today's great score! And yes, it's missing one dinner  knife and two salad forks to complete the eight piece set, but I think I can find those fairly easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment